Tuesday 8 September 2015

Book tag: The unpopular opinions book tag

Technically, I wasn't tagged. However, after taking to Twitter for reassurance that it would still be okay to complete the tag, I am very excited to bring you the 'Unpopular opinions book tag'!

A popular book/series that you didn't like.

I spent a long time thinking about the answer to this one but actually, I have no idea why it took so long. No I've thought about it the answer is so obvious, and in fact there are two books: The book thief by Markus Zusak and One day by David Nichols. Everyone raved about these books during their time in the bookish spotlight but I just couldn't see what all (any!) of the hype was about.

A book series you loved but everyone else hated.

This one really did have me stumped, I don't really read that many series and I tend to read books based on the reviews and recommendations of others so its very rare that I'd read a book that others didn't like. However, the closest I can come to is the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I understand that the book has issues and the writing isn't great but I do still enjoy reading them and I definitely don't share the, really intense, hatred of the series that seems to have developed recently. 

A love triangle where the main character ended up with the wrong person.

I couldn't think of a book for this one. I usually just go along with the canon, I never really question it. If I think of one or read a book that gives an answer to this question I'll edit it at a later date. :)

A popular genre you barely ever reach for.

Sci-Fi or crime. I have read a few books from these genres but these books: The cuckoo's calling by Robert Galbraith and Ready player one by Ernest Cline, but I really think these books could easily be placed in other genres as well.

A popular character you didn't like.

Gale Hawthorn. He had his good points and at some points he was a fairly good friend but once Peeta was in the picture he became a bit of a whiny guy. I also couldn't stand his attitude and actions towards the end of the trilogy.

A popular author you can't get into.

This is another one that stumped me a little bit. The closest I could think is Nicholas Sparks, I have read a couple of his books: The last song and Dear John and, although there were okay, wasn't that interested in reading anymore. Also, as I perused his other titles and read the blurbs I realised that they are horribly formulaic; I feel as though I could tell you what happens in any of his books without actually reading them - A women, pretty but shy and a little insecure, arrives in a quaint American town (usually on the coast or near a large body of water) as a way of escaping something in her past. She meets a guy, good looking and also with a sad past; widowed, or had been in jail. They fall in love and they are happy until something happens that means they, ultimately can't live happily ever after. (NB. I'm sorry - once I started writing the explanation I realised how much this annoyed me and a rant occurred :/ )

A popular series you have no interest in reading.

I know this is the popular opinions tag but, please don't hate me! I have absolutely no interest in reading the Throne of glass series by Sarah J Maas or the Mortal instruments series by Casandra Claire ... They just don't appeal to me. 

The book is not always better than the movie.

If there's a film I want to see then I always try to make a point of reading the book first and I hate it when people rave about how much a fan they are of a series, for example Harry Potter, and then it transpires that they have never read the books. That being said, there are a few films that I have no problem commending as being better than the book:
  • The last song 
  • P.S I love you
  • The Duff - I'm not sure if this one really counts as the book and the film (I LOVED them both) are so different, they could almost be to different stories
  • Paper towns - maybe. See this post for some of my reasons :)
  • Nick and Norah's infinite playlist - (book review)



Thank you for reading :)

I tag: Anyone who wants to do it, any of my readers and @coffeechanel, @GingerReader22 and @theblogbookshop Have fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment