Monday 1 September 2014

#LesMisWeek: The Les Miserables Tag | My answers

So, the time has come to wrap up #LesMisWeek ... I'm really sad its over as I've had the best time and I hope that you have too. I am extremely grateful to everyone who wrote guest posts, for the people who helped me behind the scenes and read all the stuff that I sent them over Facebook :P and I am incredibly grateful and touched by all you guys; the people who took the time out of your days to read the blog posts and to share in my love for Les Miserables.



At the beginning of the week, I created The Les Miserables Tag, and said that I would post my answers to it at the end of the week .... It was much harder than I anticipated but here they are:

1) Members of the ABC read a lot and what they read helped to shape their belief  that revolution was needed. What book have you read that has made you want to change the world?

I haven't read a book that I can remember made me jump up and down and want to change the world but I have read a couple books that have made me think very hard about the society we live in, the systems that govern us and the flaws in our own natures. These books were Animal farm by George Orwell and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

2) Jean ValJean has been described as the greatest literary character of all time and the majority of people love him. However, he's a criminal and maybe we shouldn't. what book character also poses a similar moral dilemma?

Julian Carax from The shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. As a book lover I am programmed to dislike anyone who harms books in anyway and so by definition I should have hated this character for his actions but I just couldn't. He was so complex, so damaged. I wanted to help him.

3) Les Miserables is a big book (1232 pages in my edition) but it didn't read like one. Which book did you expect to be a long read but wasn't despite its size?

The fifth Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, by J.K. Rowling. At 766 pages it was a little intimidating but I sat and read the entire thing in two days and I loved it all :D

4) Marius and his grandfather had opposing political views, leading to them not speaking, however in the end differences were forgiven. Which character have you initially disagreed with but forgave and actually liked by the end of the book?

Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling. Something is revealed in the 7th book that makes it a lot easier to like him and does explain his 'issues' in the previous books, but even without the revelation at the end I still quite liked his character, I disliked his personality but I liked him as a character.

5) Gavroche has only a small part in the story and yet does something very important at the barricade. Which minor character, from any book, do you believe deserves more credit?

Ummm .... 

6) Eponine is the victim of unrequited love. Which book character are you in love with but know you could never have because they're in love with someone else?

Cricket Bell from Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie Perkins. That boy is perfection.

7) Cossette wishes she could go to her castle on a cloud so as to escape the terrible realities of her life. If you could escape to any fictional place where would it be?

The Room of requirement in Hogwarts. I can't imagine anywhere better, only the people you want to join you can and you can get whatever you might need. Its the perfect place to relax and re-group.

8) Javert tirelessly pursues Jean ValJean consumed by the belief that he will succeed until something happens that prevents him from bringing him to justice, leaving him bitterly disappointed. Which book do you feel had the most disappointing conclusion?

I've read an annoyingly high amount of books with disappointing conclusions but the most recent one would have to be Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeannette Winterson although to be fair the whole book was a bit dissapointing, but the conclusion just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the story and the personalities and previous actions of the characters. 
However, I don't feel that I can talk about disappointing conclusions without mentioning The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin. There was absolutely no explanation for what was going on and it just let me feel frustrated.

9) There are some characters in Les Miserables, such as Eponine, whose stories make you want to know more about their background. What character would you love to know more about?

The father from Candor by Pam Bachorz. There must be some reason why he felt the need to build this town, to control people as he does. I would also love to know some more about what happened to the brother and the mother.

10) Which character from Les Miserables would you most like to meet and why?

Javert. He is such an interesting character and I would like to know more about his childhood and upbringing and how those have influenced his decisions later in life ... part of me also wants to shake him and tell him to get his priorities right.


No comments:

Post a Comment