Thursday 2 July 2015

Book review: Pride and prejudice

I first read 'Pride and prejudice'. undoubtedly Jane Austen's most famous novel, a while ago and hated it. I just didn't click with it, despite the romance, the balls and the intellectual, headstrong bookworm of a main character, supported by her amusing father. This classic could easily be described as a chick-lit of its times and by tradition I should have loved it. However, I didn't. But recently, several years older and fresh from watching the film adaptation (2005, Kiera Knightly and Mathew Macfaden), I decided to give it another try and so bought the surprisingly cheap and, much nicer, newer, Penguin Classics edition - the copy I originally read was an old orange Penguin Classics edition with tiny print and really rough pages -  and I enjoyed it much more, I'm really sorry I was so quick to judge.

As mentioned 'Pride and prejudice' is, first and foremost, a love story. It's about the love between sisters, between a mother and her daughters, between a father and his daughter and, of course, about the love between two people who overcome the odds and initial misgivings about each other to ultimately find happiness with each other. It has, without a doubt, all the trappings of a romance novel that would be snatched off the shelves today. Although I do love a good romance novel, and this without a doubt ticked that box but it also so much more. I enjoyed this book because I enjoyed the characters. They were dynamic, relatable and realistic. Even the characters I couldn't stand - Mr Collins and Lady Catherine de Bourge,most notably - were well written and, for the most part, were just

No comments:

Post a Comment