Tuesday 14 July 2015

Happy publication day: Go set a watchman by Harper Lee

Go set a watchman
Author: Harper Lee
Published: 2015



To kill a mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Published: 1960

55 years ago, 'To kill a mockingbird' was published. It became an almost-overnight success winning the Pulitzer prize and instantly becoming an American classic. Following the tale of Scout, Jem and their father Atticus, it is often revered for its warmth and humour, despite the fact that this novel deals, unflinchingly, with the serious issues of rape and racial inequality. Many of the characters are now now synonymous with English literature classes and Atticus Finch has become, for many, a moral hero and a model of integrity.

Finally, this critically acclaimed American masterpiece has a sequel and the world is very excited. All week, it seems that the entirety of Twitter and the blogger-sphere could talk of nothing else; or at least the corners of it that I, and many other book lovers inhabit. I haven't yet read this highly anticipated novel, nor have I ordered it from much beloved Waterstones, so I cannot comment on the content of it, the characters, the plot or how wonderfully it continued the adventure through, now 1950s, Southern America.

However, what I would like to mention is a) my own excitement and, b) the prevalent and, for me unnerving, spoiler about the development of Atticus's character and what appears to be an unprecedented and entirely unexpected turn around of his moral compass. I read 'To kill a mockingbird' for the first time relatively recently after, I'm not going to lie, resisting my mum's enthusiasm for the novel and I am so glad I did. Also, and some may be confused about this, I am very happy  that I read this novel for the first time as late as I did. For me, it was absolutely perfect. I was old enough and aware enough to fully appreciate how important the story and the message behind it is, was and, continues to be. So many quotes from this book really struck a cord with me, especially considering the increasing racial tensions in the world today, one only needs to read about the events in Ferguson, America to realise that logic surrounding racism have become skewed and unlogical (at least in my view) and I really feel that the whole world just needs to sit down and have a good chat with Atticus Finch as I currently know him to be.

"You know the truth, and the truth is this: some Negroes lie, some Negroes are immoral, some Negro men are not to be trusted around women—black or white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men. There is not a person in this courtroom who has never told a lie, who has never done an immoral thing, and there is no man living who has never looked upon a woman without desire." (20.48)

This is also what is preventing me from pressing the order button on the Waterstones website. I am hugely excited to read more about Scout, Jem and whoever they may meet along the way and I am sure that 'Go set a watchman' will be just as insightful and deep, whilst retaining its unique and beautiful delivery and I definitely want some more of it on my already full bookshelves. However, I'm not sure that my love for Atticus will allow me to survive his changes. I guess I just need to toughen up and deal with it though, because the idea of being left behind whilst the rest of the book loving community immerses itself into the pages of this hugely anticipated novel from the wonderful Harper Lee makes me very sad ... maybe next time I venture inside a bookshop it will be in my possession.

Happy publication day 'Go set a watchman', congratulations Harper Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment